Monday, November 5, 2012

Mix It Up Challenge- Alter a Die Cut


Hello fellow Crafters,

Today I have a special project to share with all of you for the Mix It Up Challenge, Alter a Die Cut. I have to say that I was looking forward to this challenge to use some of my (lately) neglected Spellbinders. Here is the card:





The front....


And the inside...

The inside is where the "Altered Die Cut" comes into play. I cut the snowflake design four times. It is from the Spellbinder Ironwork Motives.








The top picture shows one of the cutouts. The middle is the "secret" weapon for all Spellbinder users with intricate designs.... wax paper! I found out about that this January at the Winter CHA. Place a piece of wax paper in between the die and the paper and then run it through your machine. The cut will come out very easily!!! The bottom picture shows the score line right down the center of the snowflake. You want to score on the right side of the design so it will be the side that shows outward at the end...




 


Once folded I used a circle punch to cut the center out. I wanted to add a bead in the middle. And the last two pictures show all the cuts.

 
For the center I used white thread, two purple flower beads and a white pearl bead. I strung the beads up with a knot on the bottom and the top was left as a loop. This will allow the Snowflake Ornament to be used on the tree once the card arrives at its destination....








I carefully clued the four pieces together and before I glued the last segment together I did add the bead string.





For the base of the card I used the Crafters Companion for a gate fold card. I started with two 6x12 inches pieces of cardstock.  The fist piece was scored in half.  The second piece was scored in half and the on each of the halfs scored again in the opposite direction. At that point I used the "box base" side of the scoring board to align the paper to the oval shape, traced it with the scoring tool and then cut the oval out.




I wanted to give the Snowflake a background. So I did cut two pieces of my design paper. I cut it 4x6 inches. I did cut them a little wider so I would not have any lines showing from the top piece of the gate folded card. I also cut two pieces so I could allow for the folding and not create a big clump in the center of the card. After I cut the pieces I ran them through the snowflake embossing binder. The last pictures shows the inside of the card before adding the Ornament.




Here it is with the added Ornament.

For the front of the card I wanted to show case this beautiful paper. It is by Moxxie and it is called Winterland. It had the cutest Snowman on it. So I sized the paper to make it fit to the card base. 




Then I cut out three leaves of the Poinsettia from this pretty glitter paper. I pop doted all layers.




Added a glitter button in the center. For more detail I added some flourishes and some metal flourish stickers. 







My sentiment was heat embossed then cut out with a die cut. The Die cut is from Whimsy Stamps. The die is called  Snowflake Notables 2 Die and the matching Stamp set is called Holiday Notables 2. 





One more look at the finished front. I hope you enjoyed this card as much as I enjoyed creating it. It was something different and out of my "box". I hope you will stop by and take a look at the other projects. And here are the prizes that can be won:

$20 for Paper Temptress 
 Gift certificate to Floppy Latte Digital Designs
FIVE jars of gorgeous shimmering Silks acrylic glaze paints from Dreaming In Color

 Now let's see what YOU can do! 

Until soon,
 Nadja



 

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know.... what an AMAZING and talented crafter you are. This tutorial is also amazing!!! ALL of your projects are always amazing! *Erica
    My Cricut Craft Room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica. That is a very nice complement that means a lot to me!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, love it.

    Robin Lane

    ReplyDelete