Friday, August 31, 2012

September 100 cartridge blog hop



Welcome to Erica's Craft Room
100 Cricut Cartridge Blog Hop Day ONE


You should have started at http://mycricutcraftroom.blogspot.com/ if not please start at the beginning


Welcome to My Cricut Craft Room's September 100 Cartridge Blog Hop
Collectively the design team uses over 100 different Cricut Cartridges in their projects during the two days of this hop.

*****************************************************



I am so happy that you have made it to my blog! You should have come from the talented Samantha                       www.samanthascricutcreations.blogspot.com/
 Now that we have some of the where to go and where to come from out of the way let me show you what I have created for this special blog hop.  The cartridges that I picked were some of the once that I have not used since I got them.  My three choices for this event were:

* Botanicals
*Ribbons and Rosettes
*Sophie
 
 Here is my first project:


The cartridge used for this card is Botanicals. I started out on this card with a technique that I had not used before. I used it to create part of the background.




I used an embossing folder and added Distress ink on the side that is flat. I added Walnut Stain, Aged Mahogany and Spiced Marmalade. After I rubbed the ink on the folder I misted it with water before I ran it through my  Big Shot. 



I love the way this turned out! After that I cut out my main Image from Botanicals- Butterfly 4.


I actually cut this out twice. One was for coloring the leaves and butterflies, the other was to add onto as a guide and contrast. Here you see that I colored the leaves with three different green shades. I did cut out the butterflies and colored them as well.



After some ink they also received a coat of Glimmer Mist. Here is a picture of what the medallion looks like finished:

Now it was time to built the background for the card... 



I used the Tim Holtz distressing tool and roughed up all the edges and inked them with Walnut Stain.



Next on the list was the lace that I wanted to use. I first put it on the card all white and the contrast was too much. So I decided to be brave and use the same Glimmer Mist color that I used for the butterflies. It is always amazing to me that when I take a risk in trying something new and out of the box- it works!!! Just that little bit of color and it became the perfect fit.


The sentiment is from Whimsy Stamps and was cut out with a matching die. I used Memento Tangelo Ink for the sentiment and the edge got a run through some more Walnut Stain.



A jeweled sprig and a some red rhinestones ... The card was complete!

My second card I used Ribbons and Rosettes:


I have to say this was one of the cartridges that I could not wait to get and then once I had it... I neglected it until now. It took me some getting use to the "work" involved. But I am so happy that I did it. I will be using this cartridge again soon. 



Here is one of the sections (Flower 2) of 6 that I used for the Rosette. I used a scoring tool and a ruler to line up the lines and score away. I tried it first with 5 sections and it was not enough so I added the 6th and it worked perfectly. Once the Rosette was done I felt some relief since it was the first time I have done one.





For the background I used some paper that I had for some time. I roughed up all edges and inked them with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. Then I started the layering. For this card I wanted to create more layers then I usually do. On the beige paper I used a Martha Steward edge punch with flowers to give it a little bit of detail.


Once I was at this point I had to dig deep to come up with added layers that I had envisioned. I came up with the idea to add a strip across the middle. 



I did create a lace like border on the Gypsy with the Flower 2 Border 1x6 cut. I added 2 on my screen and then flipped one and welded them together. This way the flowers are all going in the same direction.



Here is the border all cut out.



A brown satin ribbon layered over the middle and this section was done.


In my many containers of treasure I found this pretty crystal flourish. I had to add it, lol! 





Last but not least I had to come up with a sentiment. For this card I used a Spellbinder Fancy Tag and added some Walnut Stain to it while it was still in the die to get some of the wonderful effects. The "thinking of you" stamp came from a stamp set at Michael's.





As I am putting the different elements together for this card I looked at my Rosette and found it a little "less stunning" not like I wanted it. Then I came across this velvet flower with a pearl and it was the right thing to add. Put it all together and there was my card!


For my final card I used the Sophie Cartridge:




  
After using more of the fall colors and not really sure of what colors to choose I went to my 6 year old son for some inspiration. He loves color and he is very good at picking colors that look great together, that I would never put together. In this case he choose the peacock blue. Then came the pink and silver. From the beginning I knew what Image I wanted to use from this cartridge- Label 4 page 45. 



As with almost all my cards I start the design on my Gypsy. Here you see the frame and the inside frame that I created like the Spellbinder look with the nested shapes. I just love this look and with the basic shapes it is very simple to create them. With the oval I did use a really cool feature...



Here you see the screen shot.When you first start with an image you see the links between Width and Height yellow. If you click on them they will turn white and now you can change the image without changing it in proportion to the way it was designed. Meaning if you want a specific size rectangle you touch Width and your number screen comes up. You add the size and then do the same with the Height. This is what I did to get the oval shape closer to match the oval shape of the flower frame.




Here are some of the components cut out. I used Peacock Feathers and Worn Lipstick Distress Ink  for this project.  All edges were inked. Frame edges and corner pieces with the Peacock Feathers and flowers with Worn Lipstick.



Once the frames were added together I started on shaping the flowers. The flowers are also cuts from the Sophie cartridge Flower 2 on page 33. I did take out the inside cut because I wanted to be able to manipulate the leaves to shape them.





Then I inked the edges. To add some sparkle I used Gala Glitz Silver for the centers of the flowers.


I wanted to use the middle of the oval as the spot for my sentiment. In looking for the right stamp I found some silver frame stickers and even in the shape of various size ovals... score!!!




Since the white card stock was shiny I went with embossing rather then stamping the sentiment on it.




I did use just a plain black since I already had so many other shiny components to the card. I continued to layer the frame and added the flowers and here is what I ended up with for the center medallion. 


The background took me a while to figure out. I had this great paper that is very shiny with embossed detail. I  bought this some years back and never used it.


 With the silver frame stickers I also found corner details. I added them to the white card stock paper and inked the edges.






At this time I looked at the card and was not sure about it. I liked it but something was just not right. I took it to my husband for the final approval, when it hit me that the pink flowers are just not much noticeable. That was not what I wanted... So I went back to my craft space and added another blue layer under the frame. What a difference it made!


 This is before the added frame...



 This is the final version.

 I hope you had fun checking out all my projects, I am sure glad  you stopped by. Your next stop is:

 Lisa Carrier http://ourcraftingcorner.blogspot.com/
 In case you got lost here is the complete line up for today:


1. MCCR http://mycricutcraftroom.blogspot.com/


Until soon,

Nadja 










30 comments:

  1. Wow just so stunning Nadja! Love all of those beautiful details...great effects too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such amazing pieces..love the little touches: the fun distressed embossed backing on the first, the gem swirls on the second and those fun scroll corners on the last just beautiful...lovely.
    MCCR DT sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHH Nadja! What a great job you did for this hop! Love how you showed us how you worked through each step! I felt like I was in your craftroom watching you work!
    I especially like your 2nd card ...I have issues with the Ribbons and Rosettes cartridge - those pretty little edge designs can be a bear to cut! You did great! I too love the way that added layer of blue just makes the card perfect!
    Teresa
    MCCR DT sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing projects and love all the detail!! The step by step is awesome! Great inspiration!!

    Susie
    MCCR DT Sis
    www.SusiesScrappers.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! You put so much detail in each of your projects!! LOVE IT!!!

    Jenn
    MCCR DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the detail in your cards!! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nadja, your attention to the smallest details is always an inspiration. Love all the tips and techniques you shared. Your projects are phenomenal!
    :O)
    Jessica S
    MCCR DT Sister

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Nadja these cards are simply gorgeous! Thank you also for some new techniques I have to try. TFS~ Mary M
    http://www.Cuttinandstampin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing cards. Love all the details. Fantastic job.

    Dana
    Danascraftycorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was an unbelievably amazing post! I love all the techniques you demonstrated, they all add so much depth to what otherwise is normally a rather flat Cricut cut file.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!!!! you are really amazing! i have so neglected my cricut and just cannot get used to using the online design tool - i don't have a gypsy. perhaps you can teach me when i come stay on your couch!!! lolol
    big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing projects...Such attention to detail
    Lisa
    MCCR DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK wow!
    blow me away.
    fantastic!
    fave!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, wow, wow!!! I am blown away by your projects! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nadja!!! Your projects are all awesome! Thanks so much for doing the step by step tutorials!! Great job! LOVE them all!!!

    Hugs,
    HL
    MCCR DT Sis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely cards! Beautiful work.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  17. These cards are absolutely STUNNING! :)

    Ashley - MCCR DT Sister
    http://especiallymade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cards are GORGEOUS!!! Love the step-by-step instructions!!

    www.scrappinmystressaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are just gorgeous!!!!! Awesome job....tfs

    ReplyDelete
  20. As always, I am blown away by your mad skillz! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you did a great job and it looks like so many steps and work.

    marg0006 at vrizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great! Now I need you to come to my house and 1. explain to my little girl why we didn't go to tje movie and 2. Explain to my hubby why the house is a mess and covered in ink and glitter!! These projects are super amazing!! I want to stay here all day and try your techniqes!!! Thank you so much for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful cards. I love them all and I can't seem to pick out my favorite. So good job!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sarah
    craftingwithsarah.blogspot.com
    MCCR DT SIS

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Nadja.. I'm speechless.. those are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.. love your embossing technique, going to have to give that a try.. plus, your hand made flowers turned out great.. Need to make some of my own :)
    hugs
    Nanné
    MCCR DT Sister

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic!!! All three are amazing and beautiful.
    cathyplus5.blogspot.com
    MCCR DT

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your Cards are AMAZING. They are just so pretty I keep going back up and looking again. So much detail. Just love it.

    Tammy S, MCCR DT.

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! Wow! WoW! what amazing and beautiful cards! Also I love your pictures, you do such a great job in capturing your processes, any hints for the rest of us?
    I love the details of your projects, you do a great job in layering, need to learn from you :)
    First off I love how you added ink to your embossing folder, gotta try that...
    Second, love how you distressed all your papers
    Third love how you showed us how you made those little flowers
    and lastly love the silver stickers.
    TFS!
    ClaireR
    My Cricut Craft Room DTM

    ReplyDelete