Monday, July 23, 2012

Card Creating Tuesday- Sunshine and Smiles, Fish

 

 

Project Sunshine and Smiles - June/July 2012


Here is some information from Erica about this project:

To give you a little background on Project Sunshine and Smiles.....

I started the Project a year ago after I was in the blog hop for Operation Write Home for the soldiers overseas to send cards HOME to their family.
I had a goal of 100 cards and had collected over 500.
So I decided it would be great to take cards to the kids at the hospital....
So I contacted St. Jude's to see if I could make cards for kids there and deliver them.
So I had a goal of 5,000 and collected over 4,000. I had arranged a trip to Memphis and then they said we were to able to pass out the cards. When I got there they said no I cannot deliver the cards and due to contamination they could not give them to the kids. So they said they would take them to the housing for parents and families and allow them to use the cards.

So I decided to pick a new cause each month to send cards to.
Last month we sent cards to a facebook friend's mom.
I looked back to see what we did in June last month and it was cards for St. Jude's.....
So I have a contact at Akron Children's Hospital
(who will allow the volunteers or myself to deliver the cards :)

The guidelines.......

1. You may make as many or as few cards as you like. You may make duplicates.
2. Please make ONLY get well cards.
3. Please write a small note to the child who is receiving it.
4. Envelopes are not needed
5. The card can be any size, for any age, boy or girl.
6. They can be for infants, toddlers, school age children, teenagers!
7. It does NOT have to be made with the Cricut.
8. Must be from a smoke-free home.
9. Please mail them by July 25, 2012
And here is the card  that I have made for the cause:
I was so inspired by the cause that I had to make something special and shiny for someone very special and deserving. My first challenge came when I discovered that all the cartridges I have (and that is quiet a bit) I did not have a rain- or teardrop. So I created them on my Gypsy! Did I tell everyone already that I can not live or craft without my Gypsy... LOL. I used George and Basic Shapes to do this. Here is a picture:



I welded a circle and a triangle and, voila! Raindrops copied them a few times and I had a patch of raindrops. Now to the cutting of the fish. I used Create A Critter







I cut two fish shapes. One in gray and one in a pattern paper. The top picture shows lines that I drew to cut the fins off. That way the pattern paper shows the fins.


Here you see the cut line for the beginning of the scales. This way the tips of the raindrops were hidden behind the face of the fish.

After the cutting of the fish I worked on the background. I tried to create a light effect by taking a piece of paper to cover a section and then added more and more ink. I used four different shades of Distress Inks: Tumbled Glass, Faded Jeans,Broken China and Stormy Sky. Next I worked on the scales:





 I cut some gray raindrops and then I used special double sided paper for the shiny raindrops. Once the raindrops were cut I added glitter to the sticky paper and the gray once got some ink around the edge (broken china). I started at the tail end and layered the raindrops on each other.





And here you see the layered scales and the colored fins. 




For the background of the card I used some paper that I got some time ago. I also used a Martha Steward Punch for the green stripes. 






I wanted to keep the sentiment light and simple. I found this stamp in my pile of stamps and thought it would be perfect. It even had the perfect shape to put in the corner of the design. An eye and some bubbles out of Stickles added and my card was complete!





Thank you so very much for stopping by my blog. Please take a moment to go see some more amazing projects from my Design Team Members over at My Cricut Craft Room. 
 See you next time...

Nadja

9 comments:

  1. Awww what a wonderful cause Nadja! That is so lovely of you. And your card is simply wonderful...I really love the design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadja...your little fish card is so bright and it will be perfect to cheer up a child! Great job!
    Teresa
    MCCR DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome and special card Nadja. The child will just love it. I really love how you made the scales on the fish and how you glittered some of them.
    Welcome to the dt team, very excited to craft with you. I am now a new follower and excited to see what you will create next.
    TFS!
    ClaireR
    My Cricut Craft Room dtm
    www.ThreeWatersCreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nadja, Your little fish is adorable. You sure did something so special, each and everyone of the children must of loved the card. you did an amazing job designing the card I love how you created the small scales and add the extra touch of glitter The Cricut must of been a great help. I have never had one so not sure how they work. your sentiment was the perfect one.
    Hugs, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you put alot of work into your card and it shows!
    The little one that gets your card will be so blessed.
    Great job!

    Tess
    MCCR DT sister

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow Nadja.. I can't believe how much work you put into this fish card of yours.. It's amazing!!
    Hugs
    Nanné
    MCCR DT sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, Love the scales great touch.

    MCCR DT, Lisa Ch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Nadja. Very detailed, I love the bubbles from his mouth. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little fishy is so special. Any child would love it. Great job on your inking, design and all your details.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete